Sunday, 6 March 2016

Main evaluation question 2



How does your media product represent particular social groups?

My media opening has two central characters. One is a detective who is investigating a murder, who is interrogating someone who was a work colleague of one of the victims. "Rob Fisher," is the latter. While devising the script, I tried to make the dialogue between the two characters seem as realistic as possible. I asked myself questions such as "What would a detective ask in this situation?", "How much detail would he give about the crimes?," and "What would the response of the psychopath be?"
I feel that the questions the detective asks are the kind of questions that would be asked in a real interrogation, and therefore he is representative of detectives in general.

I also wanted to exploit the psychopath "stereotype," as much as I could. I made the "Rob Fisher," character seem very quiet and aggressive, only answering the questions with one word to reveal as little about his identity as possible. I tried as hard as I could to make his character seem shady and mysterious. This was partly because this is how the "bad guys," in movies are often portrayed, and is representative of their "social group," if you will.

Visually, I made the detective character wear a black jacket and hat, complete with a badge. This is to further exploit the detective stereotype, as this what the average person would probably expect a detective in the same position to wear. I decided for the "Rob Fisher," character to wear a hooded jacket, mainly to conceal his identity, but also because this adds an air of mystery to the character, which could be seen as being representative of "bad guys," within films.

(The below pictures represent the two characters in "Unresolved," one being the stereotypical detective and the other being the mysterious villain who we understand little about.)


No comments:

Post a Comment