Filming locations for "Unresolved."
There are two set filming locations that will be used in the production of "Unresolved." These are the interrogation room and the woods where the detective is being held hostage. The woods where the detective is being held hostage should be dark, and the exact spot where he is being held hostage should contain a lot of tree's (so no real background is visible, like a field or a road.) If the environment fits this criteria then it will give a sense of the detective being trapped in the woods (as if the detective can not escape and is trapped within the confinements of the camera shot.)
The interrogation room that we shoot in should be darkly lit, with few windows. The room should be fairly bare and empty, to avoid distractions. The walls should be empty, and there should be a light above the table where the detective and Rob Fisher talk, to create atmosphere. This also attaches importance to that table, and not the surroundings of the detective and Rob Fisher. The room should be fairly large to allow space for multiple camera shots, and to add atmosphere (the scene will be more effective if the whole room is shown rather than just the table.)
The darkness and emptiness of the filming locations will reflect the genre (which is thriller/horror), which of course is important for the audience as people are likely to enjoy the short film more if the genre is clearly understood and recognized.
The filming locations I chose
The filming locations I actually got around to filming in are a little different to the planned areas. In many ways the interrogation room reflects my original, anticipated ideas for what the room should be like. As stated in my planning documents (above) the interrogation room is dark, is void of distractions, and only has one window. I believe I ticked off the most important criteria with these elements, and did a good job of displaying the room as eerie and having something "not quite right," about it. However, the room we shot in did not have much space. I originally planned for the room to be of a decent size to allow space for multiple camera angles, however the room (which is located in my house) is fairly small and clustered. In some ways I believe this is a good thing, as it creates a claustrophobic feeling for the detective, making it seem as if he is trapped there in the room with Rob, who is getting more and more disturbing by the second. However it did mean that there was little space for lot's of different camera angles, and so during the filming I chose two specific camera spots and stuck to them. I think the two camera angles I chose were good at showing the contents of the room, whilst also being at a good position to capture both the detective and the back of Rob's head (remember his face is never meant to be shown.) However it does mean that the final edit did not have as much momentum as I originally planned, and visually speaking is not as dynamic and interesting.
The second scene, in which the detective has been taken hostage and is tied up, differed a lot more from my original plans than the first scene did. I had planned for the detective to be tied up against a car, surrounded by trees. In the real thing, the detective is handcuffed to a cupboard, against a car roof box, in what looks like a garage (it is up to the audience to interpret where they think the hostage situation is taking place.) The reason for this change of environment was partly due to weather and partly to a change of heart. After filming the interrogation scene it was pitch-black outside and was too dark to film, however I could have chosen to film this scene before the interrogation scene when it was still light. However I thought it would both be easier and more effective if we changed the environment to an indoor setting (such as a garage) which is more noticeably eerie and depressing. I thought the inside of my garage looked like the perfect setting for the scene which I was filming, and so decided to change the filming location to here. The car roof box was a deliberate prop used to constitute for the car which we would have had if we filmed in the woods, to make it somewhat more obvious for the audience that the detective has been kidnapped. The car roof box offers itself more as a metaphor for the kidnapping though, rather than the car which we would have had which would have blatantly told the audience that the detective has been driven somewhere else.
I think the garage setting opens up more speculation for the audience than the woods would have (for example why is the detective being kept in that particular room, or how far has the detective been taken from his interrogation room?) This act of creating more questions fits perfectly with the subject matter and it's title, "Unresolved." It also makes the scene within it's genre seem less cliche.
Admittedly, the woods environment would have been more aesthetically pleasing, and would have perhaps created a somewhat more urgent atmosphere (Oh no the detective must be in the middle of nowhere! He needs to escape and get help now! But how will he do this!?)
Overall I am pleased with the final filming locations that I chose.
The interrogation room that we shoot in should be darkly lit, with few windows. The room should be fairly bare and empty, to avoid distractions. The walls should be empty, and there should be a light above the table where the detective and Rob Fisher talk, to create atmosphere. This also attaches importance to that table, and not the surroundings of the detective and Rob Fisher. The room should be fairly large to allow space for multiple camera shots, and to add atmosphere (the scene will be more effective if the whole room is shown rather than just the table.)
The darkness and emptiness of the filming locations will reflect the genre (which is thriller/horror), which of course is important for the audience as people are likely to enjoy the short film more if the genre is clearly understood and recognized.
The filming locations I chose
The filming locations I actually got around to filming in are a little different to the planned areas. In many ways the interrogation room reflects my original, anticipated ideas for what the room should be like. As stated in my planning documents (above) the interrogation room is dark, is void of distractions, and only has one window. I believe I ticked off the most important criteria with these elements, and did a good job of displaying the room as eerie and having something "not quite right," about it. However, the room we shot in did not have much space. I originally planned for the room to be of a decent size to allow space for multiple camera angles, however the room (which is located in my house) is fairly small and clustered. In some ways I believe this is a good thing, as it creates a claustrophobic feeling for the detective, making it seem as if he is trapped there in the room with Rob, who is getting more and more disturbing by the second. However it did mean that there was little space for lot's of different camera angles, and so during the filming I chose two specific camera spots and stuck to them. I think the two camera angles I chose were good at showing the contents of the room, whilst also being at a good position to capture both the detective and the back of Rob's head (remember his face is never meant to be shown.) However it does mean that the final edit did not have as much momentum as I originally planned, and visually speaking is not as dynamic and interesting.
(Above- picture of interrogation room.)
The second scene, in which the detective has been taken hostage and is tied up, differed a lot more from my original plans than the first scene did. I had planned for the detective to be tied up against a car, surrounded by trees. In the real thing, the detective is handcuffed to a cupboard, against a car roof box, in what looks like a garage (it is up to the audience to interpret where they think the hostage situation is taking place.) The reason for this change of environment was partly due to weather and partly to a change of heart. After filming the interrogation scene it was pitch-black outside and was too dark to film, however I could have chosen to film this scene before the interrogation scene when it was still light. However I thought it would both be easier and more effective if we changed the environment to an indoor setting (such as a garage) which is more noticeably eerie and depressing. I thought the inside of my garage looked like the perfect setting for the scene which I was filming, and so decided to change the filming location to here. The car roof box was a deliberate prop used to constitute for the car which we would have had if we filmed in the woods, to make it somewhat more obvious for the audience that the detective has been kidnapped. The car roof box offers itself more as a metaphor for the kidnapping though, rather than the car which we would have had which would have blatantly told the audience that the detective has been driven somewhere else.
I think the garage setting opens up more speculation for the audience than the woods would have (for example why is the detective being kept in that particular room, or how far has the detective been taken from his interrogation room?) This act of creating more questions fits perfectly with the subject matter and it's title, "Unresolved." It also makes the scene within it's genre seem less cliche.
Admittedly, the woods environment would have been more aesthetically pleasing, and would have perhaps created a somewhat more urgent atmosphere (Oh no the detective must be in the middle of nowhere! He needs to escape and get help now! But how will he do this!?)
(Above- picture of hostage space.)
Overall I am pleased with the final filming locations that I chose.


No comments:
Post a Comment